Barbara B. Jordan YMCA Independence Fund – 1168
Fund Type: Passthrough Fund
The fund, which is a nonpermanent fund, provides support for the Barbara B. Jordan YMCA in Martinsville. The foundation will work closely with the YMCA to keep abreast of their needs.
Purpose: To provide support and sustain the operations of the Barbara B. Jordan YMCA and its programs.
History: Founded in 1961, the Morgan County YMCA grew out of the interest of the Jaycees and a group of local businessmen. This initiative followed an Indiana University research study that determined that there was a strong need for social and recreational opportunities, especially for area teens. William Schwab donated the first Y building, a former grocery store, which was moved to the top of Cunningham Hill in Martinsville. In 1968 the Board of Directors embarked on a $450,000 fund drive to construct a new building at its present 5 ½ acre site on East Morgan Street. The building was dedicated as the YMCA for Morgan County in 1970. In 1974 the building was renamed in honor of Barbara Byram Jordan, a former volunteer instructor whose family was influential in establishing the Y. By 1979 the need for expansion was evident. The Board again launched a fund drive to add a fitness center, racquetball courts, and an indoor running track. In 1982 the Kendall Fitness center was dedicated in honor of Mr. & Mrs. Wilbur Kendall. A renovation in 2010 eliminated the racquetball courts and added a separate free weight area and an aerobics studio for group fitness classes. From the initial programming for teens, the Y has expanded to offer a wide range of healthy program options for all ages. Included are Aquatics, Day Camping, Fitness, Preschool, School Age Child Care, Youth & Adult Sports, Senior Programs, and (of course) Teen Programs.